Student Income Tax Lodgement

Student Income Tax Lodgement

If an international student is enrolled in a course with a course duration of 6 months or more, he/she is entitled to be considered as an Australian resident only for tax purposes. This provision requires the student to declare and pay tax on the Australian income, at the same rate as Australian citizens. Considerately, the tax-free threshold in such cases is only $18,200.

The Tax Benefits to International Students:

  • A tax-free threshold/financial year
  • Lower tax rates than the international residents
  • Tax offsets

When Can the Personal Tax Return Be Lodged?

It can be lodged anytime after June 30 every year. The deadline is October 31, but can be extended if a tax agent is appointed.

Tax on Foreign Income:

The international student will be regarded as temporary resident and will not be entitled to declare the foreign income on the Australian tax return. But, it is mandatory to declare the income from the short-term employment performed overseas while considered as a temporary resident of Australia.

How to Lodge a Tax Return?

The quickest and the easiest way to lodge a return online is at myTax through the ATO website. This process requires the individual to create a myGov account and link it to the ATO. As a second option, a registered tax agent from the Tax Practitioners Board website can be hired. To lodge a tax return, the prerequisites are,

  • Tax file number (TFN)
  • A photo ID (like a passport)
  • PAYG Payment Summaries
Newsletter Powered By : XYZScripts.com