A Glimpse into Canada
Canada is one of the most beautiful places to live in, ranked as one of the top ten by United Nations. And since they place a great importance on learning and education they have developed a sophisticated and first rate education system. Canada is also a well developed country and has an economical growth rate of 3.4%. This has made the country one of the most employment progressive countries of the world, the estimate employment rate of 94.9% is something of a record.
Besides being nature rich country, the population is also quite low of around 33 million, which certainly is less when compared against the geographical magnitude of the country. This ensures that it can offer a standard of living, along with certain benefits which cannot be found anywhere else. The educational system offers free education up to grade 13, and even after that the education is subsidized. For working professionals, any candidate who has worked a minimum of 20 weeks has the right to Employment Insurance perchance he should lose his job.
Reasons for Popularity of Education in Canada
With over 90 universities and 150 colleges and technical institutes, Canada has one of the prosperous educational system. Since the Canada spends a wholesome amount of their GDP on their education they are able to offer a high standard of education with high-tech facilities.
Despite of such high quality education opportunities, the tuition fees in Canada is one of the lowest in all English Speaking countries. International students also have the chance to earn money by working on campus for the first 6 months and then the option of working off campus for up to 20 hours per week. The approximate earnings can range from C$ 6 – C$ 10 per hour for those working part time to C$ 400 to C$ 1,000 per month for those working full time off campus during co-op terms.
Canadian Educational System
In the Canadian educational system, there are both publicly funded and private institutes. These include community colleges or technical institutes, career colleges, language schools as well as universities and university colleges. But since the education system comes under a provincial jurisdiction, it may differ in different provinces, but a general high standard is maintained.
General requirements for-
- Successful completion of secondary academic studies equivalent to the Canadian secondary school academic program
- Strong academic records
- Proof of proficiency in English (TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB)
- Completion of undergraduate program from a recognized university
- Strong academic records and reference letters
- Standardized tests like Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
Please note that many Universities may vary with different Universities and they may have their own set of admission tests.
Visa for Canada:
Besides acquiring a student’s visa to study in Canada, one also has to meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations. Only successful compliance with the same will yield a student permission to enter Canada.
One needs to submit the following documents along with their visa application:
- Completed Student Application form.
- Completed Supplementary Questionnaire (students and postdoctoral researchers)
- Official acceptance letter from the chosen Canadian university, college or technical institute.
- In case plan to study in Quebec, a Certificate of Acceptance from the province of Quebec.
- TOEFL/IELTS scores, if applicable.
- Passport, valid for at least one year from the planned date of entry to Canada, plus valid passports of any accompanying dependents.
- Bank draft for the applicable visa processing fees.
A student must substantiate his/her ability to pay for the tuition fee, pay for day-to-day living for himself and his family, and pay for return ticket back to the country of origin once the program comes to an end. Once the essential documents have been submitted, a student may be called for an interview with a Canadian Visa Officer. Thereafter a student along with his accompanying family members would be instructed on taking a medical examination. On successful completion of the required formalities, the candidate would be issued a visa if there are no other concerns with the application.